HSA Apothecary 1
This facility, also known as “the Public Room”, is more than 160 years old, and has maintained its nineteenth century look fittings, while reflecting the therapeutic currents of the period.
A rare collection of apothecary cabinets contains typical items of this period, such as pestles and mortars, syringes, scales, the first official Portuguese pharmacopoeia and flasks containing a number of medicinal preparations and products.
In 1875, the Portuguese historian Pinho Leal extolled it as one of the first apothecaries in Portugal. This pharmacy was responsible for manufacturing and supplying medication to the Hospital but also to the general public. Until the 1970s, it was the City Pharmacy.
It also served as the Outpatients’ Pharmacy until 2010.